Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Harmony In the Chaos

Harmony In the Chaos
Out of our comfort Zone

I learned a lesson this time. I do not like being out in the public eye. I've had several friends encourage me to “put myself out there'”a bit more. So I ventured out there a kind of a leap of faith. There is a little shop a few blocks from where I live that also took a recent leap of their own and opened a little shop. It's in a sweet old pioneer house and is called “Harmony”. A gathering place to sew,knit and learn. They offer classes and get-to-gathers as well as lots of supplies to get the creative spark going, With a sense of community and help, all gathered from lots of places in the world. Some of the things offered are: vintage buttons, yarn, fabric etc. A nice mix of finished projects as well as supplies to start your own creations.
If you want to take, a peek, thanks to the wonderful internet. http://www.harmonyprovo.com/
Well this is where I took a leap and brought in some of the things I've made and asked if they would consider putting some of them on consignment. We had a nice visit and I left them with some things to see how it will go.
Then my husband and I went off to the office supply store. I had some business cards made up. I guess that makes me a little more official. 
 
While at the shop, I picked up some of those vintage buttons. I love old buttons. The one I picked to use first is a square glass button. 

It has a nice mix of colors. I started by bringing out one of my old poker chips, I drilled a hole in the center to be able to attach the button to it and have it lay flat without damage to the wonderful button. I was able to attach the button with some wire through the shank, which is metal attached to the glass front. Then I took the poker chip and rolled it on an embossing ink pad and rolled it into some embossing powder. I heated it with a heat gun and fused it on the edge. I gathered a vintage yo yo around a cardboard circle. Then I began to make needle lace around the edge of the yo yo. I worked on that part of the project at the block party of the “Museum of Peoples and Cultures” They hold this event each year, with different displays and crafts and artisans from lots of times and places. Some of the exhibits were: Spinners/Weavers, Basket makers/Quilt, Pioneer Games, Academy Square Lacers, Dolls & marbles, Flint Napping, Spinning, Historic Weapons, Native American Tipi, stories and dancing by Morning Star Native Dancing & Stories, Pioneer Songs and stories by Clive Romney & Willingly.
I was there with the “Academy Square Lacers” This is a lace group that meets together at the Library once a month. We learn and work together on projects. These are some amazing people. http://aslacers.blogspot.com/ .
After a nice morning and afternoon, my friend and I gathered up our things and left. On the way home, I asked if I could make a quick stop at the shop I talked about earlier. They were also having a bit of a celebration. I wanted to pick up a couple of bird knobs I had seen when I was there last. They are made of metal and old paint. So we stopped there, and I was able to run in and pick those up.
While I was waiting my turn to pay for them, one of the items I had on consignment was being bought, or at least the customer was thinking about it. It was a little bracelet I made quite awhile ago. I almost threw it out because of it's imperfections. I was introduced to her, and she to me, by the worker at the cash register. They were having an interesting conversation about the piece. The prospective buyer said things like “It reminds me of my life, lots of little bits and pieces rather unexpected and a bit spooky” 

 
I started to think this morning of how maybe our learning and mistakes can actually bring a bit of light and laughter. Into the busy, sometimes hectic, lives we live. It can bring hope of another chance to try again. It was made of lots of odds and ends old poker chip, glass millefiori bead hearts, a random cat head bead, with needle lace and tatting, as many of my things are. It reminded me of Tim Burton movies, a bit dark and quirky yet with some sort of charm. Even our mistakes can bring hope and light to others in ways we have never expected. I came across a scripture that seemes to speak to this situation.
2 Corinthians 9:9-10.
9.(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad;he hath given to the poor; his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10.Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and incresase the fruits of your righteousness;)”

This says to me that even our mistakes can do some good and be food for the spirit of a poor and weary soul. Who can use a lift. It often surprises me how God can take our little offerings and make some good of them in spite of all our imperfections. How much time do we spend in what looks to us as mundane and unimportant, and find it helped someone unknown to us?
I guess even our mistakes are not wasted. They can bring hope, and encourage us to keep trying. Part of the important work we do here is just keep getting up. Don't be afraid to cast your bread upon the water. It might just spread to another's life, and bring and unexpected harvest.
So summing it all up, things worked together in a nice blend of old and new with a soft color and texture, blending with some quirks and kinks to make a simple folksy finish.
Keep on going!

No comments:

Post a Comment