Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Memory Work Come out to play

                                        
Memory Work
come out to play

A friend of mine Margaret Willis gave a lesson a few weeks ago on a Sunday and one of the points she made, touched me. She told about how she has gone to beaches all over the world, and it used to be her goal to find the perfect shell. So she overlooked the imperfect ones. Then she changed her way of thinking and began  to look for the beauty in all the shells she found. Many had imperfections chips, holes, rough outsides etc. She found  that even through the outside could be rough the inside was smooth and beautiful and full of light and color. 
 “As we look for the ways to turn our hearts towards others, remember that Christ-like care-giving does not take a lot of time or money. We can all afford to give five seconds of service by saying hello, showing a smile and giving a complement. This month, let us not only increase our feelings of charity, but also find ways to extend acts of charity to those in our midst. We follow the example of the Savior and honor the Good Samaritan as we serve others”
Margaret Willis
She gave us all a chance to pick out a
 
shell and she challenged us to try to give this five second service to exercise our spiritual muscles and learn hot to serve om small ways. The shell was to remind us. I picked out a shell that had a hole. Then I cam home and had an idea of a necklace I could make.
   I gathered up lots of small bits and pieces, and I began to build. I had an old earring I used as a base. Then I added a small metal piece I placed over the hole in the shell and in the center of that I put a pearl bead that matched nicely and held it on with a head pin and fastened it to the base in the back. I wired it all together. Then I attached an old shell


button on the back to cover the ends of the wire, I added a metal button on top and glued it there. Then I added a small chain and bead to the top and also a Celtic knot piece that came off of something I had made for my husband's pocket watch, which has long since worn out. Then I attached a brass chain that a friend gave me to make something out of.
This turned out to be put together like a play date. This was fun and I have my reminder to look for ways I can help others no matter how busy I am.
I'm also reminded about a necklace I made sometime ago that is also a reminder of my husbands mother. I  made that with bits and pieces I had. I like hoe it turned out. It's one of my favorites. Made from an old earring of hers. So look for the beauty around you. See you next time.

                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment