Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Little Off Center

A Little Off Center

I've been focused on the bottle I talked about last time. I went on a bottle binge. I found some nice bottles that are waiting to be covered. This morning I thought I will call them “ Message on a Bottle” Sometimes I wonder if all artist are a bit mad. I know I'm in a world apart from others. I've always felt that. I see the world differently than most.
 
As I work on a project my mind is in another spot. I really like taking parts from other places and putting them together. When we were young I liked playing a game, where you would stand in a circle and hold hands, then we would tangle ourselves up together and then call “Doctor Doctor” the person chosen as” it” would come and try to untangle us . Our job was not to let go of each others hands. So I guess that might be where I get the penchant to untie knots. I also like to mix techniques together. I guess I'm sort of a builder not in the usual sense but a builder just the same. It's fun to see the building as it takes shape. As you go along you find problems that need solving. I also learn how things work together or not. I guess I like solving problems. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not.
        I'm finding there is a process to knotting and beading around a shape and getting it to hug the thing I am covering. It’s a kind of wrestling that goes on. Somehow the working opens a different part of my brain and ideas just flood in like water filling a vessel. I guess I run the rapids of my mind, which I must say are pretty fast at times. To see me on the outside you would never know it, because I'm pretty slow and quiet. Sometimes the desire to create is a bit on the painful side. I ask what is this for? How can I help in the world? With this little project? Yet the urge will not go away. I think there is a purpose to why we have these feelings and Tendencies. I guess we learn as we go. Like faith or an iceberg you only see a bit of it. It takes work to uncover the real meaning. Does anyone else feel this way? If we just keep going it will come to us the purpose of the journey.
Here is a picture of my journey this time.




do are just exercise to work my mind and hands. 

 
While I was looking for bottles a couple of neighbors were going too. It was suggested we go to a new shop in downtown Provo. http://unhingedslc.com/store-gallery/nggallery/slideshow/ if your in the neighborhood check it out. So we stopped there first. I had my last little bottle with me and showed it to the person at the register. This shop wants to feature items by local artists. They also have a shop in Salt Lake City. I found some earrings that I brought home and deconstructed for future use. I was able to disassemble them and multiply them into four. That kind of math is fun. I also found a new use for the heat gun I have. It softens old glue so you can unstick things. 

The earrings were glued onto some metal filigree. I took them apart after heating them and then stuck some other things onto the filigree pieces.

I also made a little necklace out of a practice piece of needle lace.










I hope you will also look for the passions in your life and work to uncover them and see why you have them.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment